Hull Truck Theatre Joins Creative Green Community With 3 Star Debut
Hull Truck Theatre is dedicated to producing and presenting high quality, culturally relevant theatre at its home in Hull. It has been awarded a 3 star Creative Green rating in recognition of its commitment to embedding environmental sustainability in its operations and activities, achieving a 9.5% reduction in its energy emissions.
With this year's accolade for Hull as UK City of Culture 2017 we are looking forward to following the city's programme of cultural activity and to see what Hull Truck get up to this year as a way to spotlight climate action.
How They Did It
- Hull Truck Theatre has invested in solar voltaic panels and produces onsite renewable energy. A feed in tariff allows unused energy to be returned to the national grid.
- LED lighting is used throughout the building.
- Hull Truck Theatre is part of a city wide creative arts industry group that aims to exchange and communicate environmental issues, polices and action plans.
- Creative teams are actively encouraged to regularly reuse and recycle props, costumes and materials.
- Stationery suppliers give annual updates on environmental purchasing - Hull Truck Theatre asks for green products where possible.
- Environmental issues and achievements are communicated regularly to staff through newsletters, meetings and handbooks.
- Hull Truck Theatre has a Building Management System (BMS) which provides detailed and regular energy use data.
- Water use is monitored on weekly, monthly and quarterly timescales.
- Material use, lighting and sound are monitored in good detail for their productions, e.g. Sleeping Beauty 2015/2016.
- Business travel data has been monitored for two years.
- Reductions between 2014/15 and 2015/16 in absolute energy use and energy related carbon emissions of 7.6% and 9.5% respectively.
- Relative water use (per attendance) has decreased by 5%.
- Waste generation is 83% lower than the baseline year (per attendance).